Maintaining Cable Railings
With modern, high-quality materials, homeowners shouldn’t have to do significant maintenance. Keeping their cable railings looking nice and functioning correctly, even close to the ocean, is easy. Because stainless steel can rust, most manufacturers recommend periodic cleaning with water and possibly a mild detergent. Afterwards, do a thorough rinsing.
However, with more coastal areas facing extreme weather, like tropical storms and hurricanes, homeowners need to check on their railings after these events.
Cable railings are high-tension systems, and their lower overall surface areas should protect them during extreme winds. But, after a hurricane or tropical storm, carefully inspect the entire railing system, not just damaged areas. The tension of the cables may pull on other deck components and can create issues down the road. If any posts appear to be loose or twisted, reach out to your contractor.
Cable Railings Cleaning Guidelines
If you choose a RailFX cable railing system, the cleaning guidelines are easy:
- Use clean water and a soft cloth for coated surfaces.
- Use mild dishwashing soap with water and a soft cloth for stronger cleaning needs.
- Remove minor scuff marks or scratches from aluminum posts and rails using a product like Soft Scrub™ (Note: bleach-based products should not be used on stainless steel.)
- Do not use strong chemicals, household cleaners, harsh abrasives, etc. This is especially true for bleach or products containing bleach. Bleach will stain and discolor stainless steel quickly and easily.
- Remove sap, tree seeds, bugs, etc. as soon as possible as additional sun and heat exposure can make them stick to the coated surface making them more difficult to remove (but not impossible).
- Clean glass infills with regular glass cleaner or (made for glass) soap and water.
- Always test cleaning products on a small, inconspicuous area before applying any product.
And if you have a question about maintaining your railing system, the RailFX team is happy to help. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (206) 453-1123.